[Standards] CSI and Carbons state after SM resumption

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Feb 6 11:20:23 UTC 2017

On 06.02.2017 10:13, Kim Alvefur wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 08:53:31PM +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
>> On 05.02.2017 20:19, Georg Lukas wrote:
>>> * Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> [2017-02-05 19:41]:
>>>
>>> I really really don't understand why 0198 should change any of the
>>> session properties on resumption. This should be as transparent to the
>>> client as any possible.
>>
>> CSI uses Nonzas, which are not covered by Stream Management, so you
>> can't restore the CSI state after resumption.
>
> Can't? Why not?

You don't know if the CSI nonza you sent right before the stream got
interrupted was processed by the server or not.

That said, I think you could do what XEP-0352 § 5.1 describes and only
mark the CSI state change successful after you received a pong of a ping
you send just after the CSI state change nonza. If everybody would do
that, then we could say we restore the CSI state. But I don't believe
that to be an option, since we can't enforce everybody to do it,

- Florian