[Standards] On making "Compliance Suite 20xx" a Non-XEP

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Feb 8 09:29:41 UTC 2017

On 7 February 2017 at 16:25, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today the current Compliance Sutie work was discussed in xsf@ and I
> asked again why it needs a new number vs. just updating XEP-0375. This
> resulted in some yak shaving, and an interesting, albeit controversial,
> proposal:
>
> Can we make the "Compliance Suite" a stand-alone document that is not an
> XEP?
>
> Alternative solution: designate a fixed XEP number to "Current
> Compliance Suite".
>
> Rationale:
>
> - the Compliance Suite should help new developers navigating the zoo of
>   XEPs, having it hidden inside that zoo is counterproductive.
>
> - there is only ever one Compliance Suite that matters at any given
>   point in time
>
> - it would be great to have a stable link/identifier to spread to
>   developers and reference in documentation
>
> - there are so many XEP numbers already that people lose track
>
> - We could still use the XEP editorial process to maintain the document,
>   no need to invent (much) new bureaucracy
>
> Cons:
>
> - developers couldn't just stamp "implements XEP-0375" on their release
>   to indicate a given level of compliance, they would rather need
>   to write "Implements Compliance Suite 2017"
>
> - having this as a non-XEP might increase the maintenance burden or
>   reduce the "credibility" of the document

Also, who gets to make changes? How are those agreed?

All a XEP is, is simply a document with a process wrapped around it.
I'm *all* in favour of linking directly into it, and our boilerplate
sections are all down at the bottom so they're quick to dive into.

We shouldn't be referring to XEP-0375, really, we should be referring
to the (deliberately) "Marketing" terms of "Core Server 2017" and so
on - that's why we created those terms. These need links on the
website directly into the document, and perhaps some user
documentation around them.