[Standards] RFC 6120 vs. XEP

Ruslan N. Marchenko me at ruff.mobi
Wed Feb 8 19:06:19 UTC 2017

Allow me to put my two cents

On 08.02.2017 09:53, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Wed, 8 Feb 2017 08:19:17 +0000
> Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> Right, I understand, and largely agree. I might scribble a draft to
>> address this, by clarifying what we really meant here.
> I see also two issues here ;)
>
> 1. RFC6120, section 7.1 says:
>
>> After a client authenticates with a server, it MUST bind a specific
>> resource to the stream so that the server can properly address the
>> client.
> Thus, a client is unable to resume a session in any case.
I think the misunderstanding roots in similarity of the BINDing
requirement and BINDing process (using IQ with BINDing extension namespace).
Resumption *IS* doing binding. After resumption - connection is uniquely
bound and addressable. No RFC violation.
In fact server implementation may execute similar calls to bind newly
authenticated connection to existing session.

> 2. While almost everybody here argued that "resource binding" is any
> binding mechanism, including Bind2, RFC6120 clearly defines "resource
> binding":
>
> Section 7.3.1:
>
>> The parties to a stream MUST consider resource binding as mandatory-
>> to-negotiate.
Yes, this is where SM should be mandatory to negotiate. Currently it's
just written as a fallback condition (failure to resume must be followed
by proper binding)
> And section 7.1 defines:
>
>> The XML namespace name for the resource binding extension is
>> 'urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-bind'.
Yes, for the extension which is described by RFC, RFC restricts nowhere
binding process to this extension, just tells it's mandatory to negotiate.
I.e. any RFC6120 compatible server and client MUST support this
extension for the binding purpose.
But aren't limited to that.