[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Extensible SASL Profile

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Feb 9 05:05:51 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:05 PM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
> Title: Extensible SASL Profile
>
> Abstract: This document describes a replacement for the SASL profile documented in RFC 6120 which allows for greater extensibility.

Some early feedback about the new SASL profile:

One of the things that greatly annoys me about SASL in 6120 (and which
is carried over here) is that the stream feature is, I think I'm right
in saying, the only one of the widely supported features where the
name as advertised (<mechanisms/>) does not match the response sent by
the client to select that feature (<authenticate/>).

In a future version of the XMPP handshake I would like us to mandate
that selecting a feature is done by sending an element with the same
name (local and namespace) as the feature so that when implementing
feature negotiation from the server side, if I advertise a feature I
don't have to special case checking if it is selected; if the client
sends back a response I can match that against the original features I
sent and decide which one it's selecting.

It would be nice if this profile went ahead and made them consistent.

—Sam