[Standards] Improving Usability of XMPP Clients from the Bottom - Usability Considerations

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Feb 9 08:46:04 UTC 2017

On 8 February 2017 at 22:11, Tobias M <tmarkmann at googlemail.com> wrote:
> * providing guidelines to what terms to use for certain things the protocol
> introduces, e.g. XEP-0319 could recommend “Idle since” or “last active at”
> as possible phrases to use when presenting the time to the user
> * defining that for MIX channels, the primary name of a channel in the UI
> should be the roster item name of the bookmark, as it is user editable, and
> provide recommendations what value to use as default
> * providing recommendations how to handle end-to-end crypto (i.e. OMEMO) use
> cases, like key verification, trust management, or visual assurance for the
> user that the current chat is encrypted

I'm generally in favour of this.

There is an argument that such recommendations might be included
within the body of the text, but I think if pulled out, or at least
summarized within a section, then developers who (sensibly) have used
an existing library will be able to easily read the section for useful
advice, without being bogged down with the minutiae of implementation.

I would argue, though, that any use of RFC 2119 language in such a
section would be a bad idea. Trying to tie "conformance" into
usability considerations would leave us with some very odd cases.

Dave.