[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Extensible In-Band Registration

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sun Feb 12 14:32:08 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 8:23 AM, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
> Title: Extensible In-Band Registration

I wanted to go ahead and start getting community feedback on this
approach, and on the following items.

Still todo (possibly?):

* Consider adding account deletion?
  Presumably this would be in an IQ after the stream was started? Or
maybe we want to ensure they re-auth so this should be after the auth
stage of the connection handshake, meaning clients that wanted to show
a "delete my account" button would have to re-login with the account
deletion feature enabled. This might actually be a good option; it
just "feels clean" to force you to end your session or create a new
one for deletion, or it may just be confusing.

* Add some form of error (not just cancelation)?
  The lack of consistency in stream feature errors is annoying. Can we
just reuse SASL error semantics or something? Maybe we need a generic
"stream featues errors that are not stream errors" in future.

* Define a proof-of-work challenge type
  Is this actually necessary? What sort of trendy POW functions are
people using these days? Hashcash? Will anything be able to easily
support this if it's added?

* Define an OOB data challenge type
  In 0077 this is required for backwards compatibility with things
that don't support data forms; I'm not sure if we want to do that here
(requiring something to be able to go out of band just in case XMPP
isn't fully supported feels poor). Maybe we just require that data
forms be supported and have OOB be a mechanism that stands on its own,
not as a fallback.