[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0280 (Message Carbons)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Feb 13 13:59:44 UTC 2017

* XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> [2017-02-09 00:07]:
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

yes

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and requirements?

yes, to approximately 90%. The last bullet point in §2 still has
undefined corner cases for MUC-PMs which I'd like to address (as
described later in this mail):

| All clients that turn on the new protocol MUST be able to see all
| outbound instant messaging messages from all of the resources of the
| user, regardless of whether the clients for the other resources have
| implemented the new protocol.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why not?

yes, already implemented.

yes. While the spec clearly addresses security in §11, CVE-2017-5589+[0]
has shown that a dozen of developers independently introduced the same
security vulnerability when implementing the XEP. Because of this, I
suggest to add stronger and more clear wording regarding the security
implications into §7 (or a dedicated "client processing" section) as
well.

There is a pending PR at https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/413 that
should improve wording already, and I'd like to add some more warning
words once it is merged.

The spec is good, and some of the issues I have with it are going to be
resolved with #413. However, I'd like to properly specify the MUC and
MUC-PM interactions with Carbons, as I suggested two weeks ago in
https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-January/032048.html

Specifically, I'd like to make explicit rules for how clients and
servers should tag and interpret MUC-related messages. Please discuss
the details and interop with 0045 in that thread.

Georg

[0] https://rt-solutions.de/en/2017/02/CVE-2017-5589_xmpp_carbons/