[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Extensible In-Band Registration

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 20:13:05 UTC 2017

Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:58:14 -0600
Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> I'm still not sure what you're expecting the ad hoc commands to do;
> can you send me a listing of some example adhoc commands? I think
> there might be a misunderstanding about how this spec works; the
> client does not select the challenges it wants, it just says "send me
> challenges" and the server sends it some in an order defined by the
> server. The client doesn't have any say in it.

Sure:

1) A client executes a command
2) A server sends a form to fill in (username and password).
3) A user fills in the form and presses 'next'
4) A server then sends another form: "Hum, seems like you're not a
human, fill in the captcha please". A server provides a link with a
code.
5) Then a server might ask about an email (the user is very suspicious!)

You can argue we only need one-step command for this, but I'm in doubt
here. There might be use cases with multiple step registrations.