[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Extensible In-Band Registration

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Mon Feb 13 21:26:59 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> <stream:features>
>   <bind xmlns='...'/>
>   <command-nodes xmlns='xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/commands'>
>      <node>register</node>
>      <node>recover</node>
>      <node>unregister</node>
>      <node>change-email</node>
>   <command-nodes/>
> </stream:features>

I don't see all those things fitting into this XEP, so we go back to
my original position: this seems like a neat idea, but rewriting the
XMPP handshake (or creating a new feature that just acts as a slightly
different stream features wrapper for "all features which need user
interaction") is out of the scope of this spec. If you're giong to do
that, it seems like you might as well make it how the stream features
work in general; I know you've said that SASL doesn't need user
interaction, but it might as well be a "command" that then sets off a
series of challenges all the same. I just don't see how this is any
different from redefining stream-features-as-a-stream-feature.

—Sam