[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0368 (SRV records for XMPP over TLS)

Ruslan N. Marchenko me at ruff.mobi
Tue Feb 14 08:37:47 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 03:55:13PM -0600, Sam Whited wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Ruslan N. Marchenko <me at ruff.mobi> wrote:
> > I don't understand what do we need to hide here by summoning port 5223 from
> > the oblivion.
>
> This is another reason why I think that privacy/security statement
> needs to be removed; it just leads to this sort of confusion.
>
> I think we're *not* hiding anything here, we're just saving a few
> round trips. That's the benefit I see to this XEP: If you know you're
> using TLS, just start using it, why bother negotiating an upgrade?

Ok, perhaps it makes sense to save a roundtrip on some corner cases but
then again - if time is such a valuable commodity for this use case -
why on earth would one do SRV lookup with its indefinite response time
for recursive search and validation?

There's no overhead in implementation - calls to secure socket and
restart stream are all there, this xep just arranges them in different
order, while adding one more negothiation method and service definition.