[Standards] XEP-0198 stream resumption with too high 'h' parameter

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Tue Feb 14 13:20:31 UTC 2017

* Michal Piotrowski <michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com> [2017-02-14 12:18]:
> I'm currently investigating following situation. The server sent to the
> client 10 stanzas and clients sends accept <a h='11'/> which is not valid
> (too high).
> In XEP-0198 I didn't find any information what should happen if clients
> sends too high 'h' parameter.

I would suggest terminating the session with a policy-violation both for
the <a> and <resume> cases. An invalid 'h' value is an indication of a
client implementation bug, and those are really hard to debug. Killing
the session on sight will make the client developer more aware of the
issue, preventing looming desynchronization problems like a mismatch in
the number of actually processed and user-displayed messages.

Georg