[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0368 (SRV records for XMPP over TLS)

Ruslan N. Marchenko me at ruff.mobi
Wed Feb 15 07:48:38 UTC 2017

On 15.02.2017 08:26, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:21:39 +0100
> "Ruslan N. Marchenko" <me at ruff.mobi> wrote:
>
> Well, high-load is always a "corner" case: a very few people need it.
> That doesn't mean we should ignore it. For example, SIP folks never
> ignore high-load.
I don't say load-balancing is corner case, merely suggest that
load-balancing from non-suitable components is a corner case.
Loadbalancing xmpp (or smpt, or SIP) with http-proxy - *is* a corner case.
Ideally I'd like loadbalancer to offload both tls and stream
negotiation, to filter out stream-flood (similar to syn-flood) - eg.
pass/relay connection to the pool only once initial handshake is
complete (stream/to + tls/SAN). That allows me to have farm behind
focusing only on processing streams for my domains. (I'll probably even
implement it for clustering perf/ha solution).
> But frankly, I still do not understand your position: are you arguing
> the XEP is not needed or what?
Precisely.