[Standards] MIX (XEP-0369) post-summit update to 0.8

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Thu Feb 16 17:11:58 UTC 2017

Hi Steve,

thanks again for keeping this running.

I'm still confused about how MIX and MAM are going to interact in
practice. While the concept is clear, I still wonder:

- whether the participant's server, the MIX channel or both need to keep
  MAM archives of a channel (or only of individual nodes)

- where a re-connecting client should direct MAM queries to for a
  'quick-sync'.

- where a newly-joining client should direct MAM queries to, to obtain
  pre-join history.

It would be great if you could clarify it in the specification text,
especially in §3.4.

* Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> [2017-02-13 12:55]:
> 8. Use example JIDs aligned to anticipated BIND2 format. These are
> long!

I think it's a bad idea to do this in examples for developers. It is
hard enough already to remember the bare JIDs of multiple parties and
their interactions, having the additional burden of mapping 256 bits of
pseudo-randomness to individual clients is really counterproductive.

Examples should be readable first, and there is really no need to have
UUID/UUIDs in them.

Regards,

Georg