[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0280 (Message Carbons)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Thu Feb 16 17:44:49 UTC 2017

* Matthew A. Miller <linuxwolf at outer-planes.net> [2017-02-16 18:31]:
> About the only argument I'm aware of for keeping it is existing
> implementations.  If the namespace version bumps, that kind of
> "solves" that problem.

I really don't like bumping, but as this is a privacy-sensitive matter,
I think we really need to do it here.

And while we are at it, I'd also love to introduce some more changes
regarding MUC-PMs, namely how clients and servers should handle them.
https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-January/032048.html
has the details, but the TL;DR is:

- servers/MUC services must tag all MUC-related messages
- clients must tag outgoing MUC-PMs as such
- clients must ignore carbons of MUC-PMs from channels they are not
  joined to
- servers must send Carbons for a specific subset of MUC-related
  messages (invitations, 'sent' PMs, not 'received' PMs)

Georg