[Standards] Example Resources in XEPs (XEP-0369)

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Mon Feb 20 11:28:26 UTC 2017

On 20.02.2017 10:36, Georg Lukas wrote:
> * Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> [2017-02-20 10:20]:
>> I feel that using BIND2 resources---albeit this is likely to become the new
>> standard---harms readability a lot. However, I can also see that using
>> examples which do not fit the current standards lead to developers
>> implementing the wrong things, such as clients which encourage the use of
>> descriptive and user-chosen resources.
>
> I think that we need readable examples in the XEPs over anything else.
> My suggestion would be to use human-readable, short resource
> identifiers, both in the client case and in the auto-generated proxy
> case. It is possible to convey the same information in another, indirect
> way, that does not harm understanding:
>
> For example:
>
> The full user JID "alice at xmpp.example/client1-uuid" is mapped to the
> proxy JID "channel+alice-uuid at mix/uuid-alice-A"

Please let us have the client provided part first and *then* the UUID. I
believe this would increase the readability a lot. For example

instead of

foo at example.org/86224876-a3cf-4555-8835-57286109fa03-thermostat

let's have

foo at example.org/thermostat-86224876-a3cf-4555-8835-57286109fa03

What was again the envisioned separator used by Bind2 here?

- Florian