[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0280 (Message Carbons)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Feb 23 07:36:30 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:
> My personal stance would be: discard <private/>, reference 334, be done
> with it. However, that would probably require a namespace bump.

I *think* I'm against continuing to reference 0334 here. While this
hint is theoretically useful for other specs (eg. if there were some
kind of pubsub-MAM-sync in the future that replaced carbons), I'm not
sure we need to try and make it that reusable, and having it live in
the spec that it's used for makes more sense to me (one less thing I
have to click through to and read when implementing). I don't think it
would greatly increase the complexity or length of this spec to
include it, and I'm half convinced that 0334 needs to be split up and
deprecated (it just feels like a lot of random stuff that doesn't
belong together, but we can discuss that over on its thread), so I
don't think this spec should rely on it.

I am a fan, however, of deduplicating and only having one hint (I
don't really care which, or what it's called; <private/> sounds good
to me just because it's already in the spec).

—Sam