[Standards] Bind 2.0 and Best Practices for Handling Offline Messages interoperability

Michal Piotrowski michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com
Fri Feb 24 08:31:09 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've just run into this dilemma.

XEP-0386: Bind 2.0 spec says:

> Clear the offline messages for this user, if any, without sending them
(as they will be provided by MAM).

XEP-0160: Best Practices for Handling Offline Messages says:

> When the recipient next sends non-negative available presence to the
server, the server delivers the message to the resource that has sent that
presence.

Also the "non-negative" available presence is to my understanding a initial
presence sent by the client after bind. Should we assume that doing Bind
2.0 client already has a resource with "non-negative" available presence?
Or how do you imagine interoperability of Bind 2.0 and Best Practices for
Handling Offline Messages?

I just would like to be clear about a following scenario:

1. Client A does Bind 2.0
2. The server clears offline messages for this client A and delivers unread
as described in Bind 2.0
3. Client B sends messages to client A
4. Client A sends its initial presence. To my understanding only after this
point the server can deliver messages to the client's resource.

I'd gladly hear what I missed.

Best regards
Michal Piotrowski
michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com