[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0233 (XMPP Server Registration for use with Kerberos V5)

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Fri Feb 24 15:43:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 10:50:03PM +0000, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0233 (XMPP Server Registration for use with Kerberos V5).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines the Kerberos principal name of an
> XMPP server. It also details a method by which a connecting client can
> determine this Kerberos principal name when authenticating using the
> "GSSAPI" SASL mechanism.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2017-02-22.

I apologize for the late response.

> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1.  Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
>     stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes. However I should note that I'm not sufficiently familiar with
Kerberos to be sure.

> 3.  Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
>     why not?

I implemented a method for manually specifying the hostname to be
communicated, as described by this specification.

> 2.  Does the specification solve the problem stated in the
>     introduction and requirements?

Those who asked me to implement this were pleased, so as far as I can
tell, yes.

> 4.  Do you have any security concerns related to this specification?

No.

> 5.  Is the specification accurate and clearly written?

Yes.

A sentence on why it would be a bad idea to use the target from the SRV
record used to connect (in the absence of DNSSEC) might be a good idea.

--
Regards,
Kim "Zash" Alvefur