[Standards] [Members] 33C3 talk on Signal and current XMPP issue in providing a similar UX

Marvin Gülker m-guelker at phoenixmail.de
Sun Jan 1 08:59:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 02:22:11PM +0100, Tobias Markmann wrote:
> > We need to aggressively address the spam problem.
>
> Indeed. Proposed solutions I've heard about so far are mostly requiring
> captcha on first contact or reputation systems. I think end-to-end captchas
> could result in a very bad UX and a reputation system where admins would
> have an incentive to keep spamming users from their servers or else it
> would effect other users on their server (e.g. by rate limiting s2s
> connections or stanzas per JID, or similar).

As it wasn't done yet, I want to point out that there was an extensive
discussion on XMPP spam on the xmpp-operators mailing list. Here are the
links to the archive:

* https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2016-November/002896.html
* https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2016-December/002925.html

Regarding the context of the slides, most (all?) of the talks on the
33C3 have been recorded, and the recordings are available on
https://media.ccc.de/c/33c3.

Greetings
Marvin