[Standards] XMPP Registrar: Registration policy

Tobias Markmann tmarkmann at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:05:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> I recently proposed a change [1] to the way the XMPP registries work to
> require that all registries have a ``registration policy" which would
> determine how entries are added to the registry (eg.
> first-come-first-server might mean that anyone could simply add an
> entry, but spec-required might mean that some normative text that
> explains how the registry entry works and what it's for be written
> first).
>
> Peter suggested that I bring this to the list, and it does seem worth
> discussing, so here it is. Peter's view was that:
>
> > The IETF has been moving toward "First Come, First Served" in most
> > cases, and I don't see a compelling reason for the XSF to move in the
> > opposite direction by adding more formality to our processes.
>
> In my mind the only real distinction that's necessary is "should entries
> in this registry require a normative description, or is this just a
> non-normative list that can be safely ignored". However, if the registry
> is only intended as a way to make sure your custom namespace, feature,
> option, etc. doesn't conflict with other peoples usage (but without
> guaranteeing any compatibility if you choose to implement things in the
> registry already in use by other people), then I agree with Peter, it's
> easier just to keep it first-come-first-served.
>
> Thoughts?

You created the PR for a reason not? Was the reason invalidated now? I
don't see that much difference between first-come-first-serve and
specification-required anyway. Specification-required would still be
first-come-first-server, not? Just with the additional requirement of an
open specification.
A registry for namespaces used in XEPs would always have the registry
entries being defined in a RFC or a XEP. Or did you have custom/proprietary
namespaces in mind that are also added to the registry?

Cheers,
Tobi