[Standards] [Members] 33C3 talk on Signal and current XMPP issue in providing a similar UX

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Jan 3 15:16:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 3:40 AM, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> Suspected SPIM gets sent into a multi-item, well-known, PEP node.
> Clients MAY subscribe to this, or MAY periodically poll this.

That sounds better actually; then it's up to the client to poll for
messages when it wants them instead of it just getting them when they
happen and having to store them (or ignore them). However, it does add
a dependency on PEP and a lot more complication (I'm not against this,
PEP is necessary for a good UX with XMPP anyways, just pointing out
that it does make the spec more heavy weight).

—Sam