[Standards] XEP-0163: Personal Eventing Protocol - Clarification about the multi-items per node support

Jaussoin Timothée edhelas at movim.eu
Wed Jan 4 22:52:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

After having a look at XEP-0163: Personal Eventing Protocol and
XEP-0060: Publish-Subscribe I'd like to have a clarification regarding
the multi-items per node support.

PEP is meant to be a "a simplified subset of pubsub" and was defined to
work with nodes created on the user JID. Also this XEP is mostly used
for nodes that only contains one <item> (like in XEP-0118: User Tune,
XEP-0107: User Mood, XEP-0108: User Activity or XEP-0080: User Location).

However some later XEPs allows clients to publish several items per PEP
nodes like XEP-0277: Microblogging over XMPP or XEP-0330: Pubsub
Subscription (we are also planning to update the Bookmarks XEP to work
this way, one bookmark per item, mostly to prevent race-condition issues).

My main concern here is that a XMPP client currently don't have a way to
know if the server supports several items per node for PEP (like for the
current Prosody server).

Having this lack of information could lead to issues with XEPs that rely
on this multi-items support in client implementations (that it's
actually the case with clients like Movim).

I don't see any feature listed here
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#features that could help
clients to get this information (maybe
http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#item-ids ?).

If its not a misunderstanding on my side, I'd like to have your point of
view on this problem and start to discuss about a solution.

Regards,

Timothée Jaussoin aka edhelas