[Standards] Burner JIDs and MIX [WAS A possible MIX approach: hiding multiple clients]

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Fri Jan 6 16:15:59 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> wrote:
> I don't object to this, but I can't see how it makes much difference to MIX. What impact is there besides following the rules for generating random JIDs?

Using this removes the need for semi-anonymous channels
and proxy JIDs, which will simplify the MIX spec a lot. It shifts the
decision about whether or not a user is
anonymous from the MIX service to the user since they can decide
whether or not to use a burner JID before joining any channels
(although the MIX service would still be able to enforce that a room
be anonymous by only allowing in JIDs issued by its own burner JID
service).

—Sam

--
Sam Whited