[Standards] Easy XMPP

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Jan 16 13:29:42 UTC 2017

Kevin Smith <kevin.smith at isode.com>:
> It’s worth noting that I think you mean the ‘Public/unaffiliated
> Internet XMPP IM use case”. Lots of XMPP use is either pre-provisioned
> or off-Internet, or both.

Indeed. If you have some catchy name for it, I'll gladly apply that label to make my intentions more clear.

>> https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Easy_Onboarding
>
> Apart from brief bits I disagree with (hiding password generation from
> the user), I think pretty much all of this can be achieved by a
> sufficiently motivated client already.

The goal of Easy* was to write down the things that can easily be done today. However, few client developers are sufficiently motivated, aware of Easy* or competent in the UX domain. Just to pick a random example: Gajim, the most actively developed (or user visible) desktop client, is a nightmare to configure for a user who's new to XMPP.

We really need to stop being a communication protocols org and start caring about UX. Writing down these things, and motivating client developers to implement them, is a task we finally need to face and act upon.

There are ideas going beyond the Easy* series, like what Sam recently proposed for a centrally maintained list of public servers with tldr ToS. Such a list is obviously a group effort, and it needs protocol and client support.

>> https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Easy_Roster_Invitations
> I’ve only scanned it, but it doesn’t look immediately stupid on
> scanning, and I think writing up a XEP would be a good way to get
> further comment.

That's the danger of thread necromancy 😉

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0379.html has been published and didn't receive much feedback yet. It still needs a followup to move the token generation and approval to the server, but I haven't had the time for that yet.

As a corollary, I've started https://github.com/ge0rg/easy-xmpp-invitation which can easily be hosted by server operators or client implementors to support the onboarding.

Georg
--
+++ Sent from Mobile +++ https://op-co.de/ +++