[Standards] Easy XMPP

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:00:25 UTC 2017

Mon, 16 Jan 2017 14:29:42 +0100
Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:

> The goal of Easy* was to write down the things that can easily be
> done today. However, few client developers are sufficiently
> motivated, aware of Easy* or competent in the UX domain. Just to pick
> a random example: Gajim, the most actively developed (or user
> visible) desktop client, is a nightmare to configure for a user who's
> new to XMPP.

Easy configuration is not the only problem. All XMPP clients has really
terrible UI. What I'm wondering is: don't client developers see their
UI sucks? They never saw popular clients' UI (Viber, Skype, etc) or
what? OK, I can understand that the majority of clients are targetted
on advanced users, but in that case no easy onboarding is required and
XMPP will never be a popular protocol. So all Easy_* initiatives are
pointless at this point.