[Standards] Expected behavior when blocking all unknown JIDs

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Mon Jan 16 15:23:18 UTC 2017

Instead of blocking unconditionally unknown users (which is not an option for
me), would not it make sense to use some kind of challenge (e.g. captcha or
computational challenge) ? This would not block everything, but probably a
good amount of SPAM/SPIM.

For the sender, it's only annoying on first message/subscription request
(after he's considered legitimate), for the destinee it should be transparent
(fully automatic).

We can write a XEP for that, and use a fallback text mechanism for client not
implementing the XEP.

As often, Wikipedia can be a great source of inspiration: https://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_techniques

What do you think ?

Goffi