[Standards] Easy XMPP

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Jan 16 16:18:10 UTC 2017

Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com>:
> I recently ran an experiment with a non-Technical friend where I gave
> them some prompts, and then answered direct questions without hand
> holding them through anything and more or less recorded a transcript
> of what was said and what they clicked on.

This is exactly what client developers need to do to see how bad the experience is. I've learned a lot from such experiments in the past, and tried to cover the results in Easy*.

> Maybe just having a "Get Started" link in big bold text right at the
> top of xmpp.org would help a lot.

That's an awesome idea! Please do it!

I've tried to create such a landing page for newcomers with https://yax.im/i/#georg@yax.im but it needs a bit more polish and especially a curated per-platform client list in which Easy Onboarding is implemented.

> they were
> suprised that on first launching gajim it didn't walk them through
> adding an account and instead just immediately gave them popups about
> plugins that needed updating.

And then you get the account creation "wizard" that's almost impossible to operate, even for seasoned xmpp users.

Georg
--
+++ Sent from Mobile +++ https://op-co.de/ +++