[Standards] Easy XMPP

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Jan 16 16:50:18 UTC 2017

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:
> So, at this point, I wonder what we're doing here. :-)

Signal is a single company providing a centralized product. I think what's missing the most for our user community is the federation and the choice of clients. While I agree with you that they have achieved significant results with a bunch of people, this only shows that we can get at least as good, if we just concentrate our efforts.

A single decision by Moxie or a single court order in some country can make Signal unavailable to a large part of its user base.

Email and the web have survived the last decades, while centralized services came and went away (anybody remembers AOL? MySpace?).

Georg
--
+++ Sent from Mobile +++ https://op-co.de/ +++