[Standards] Easy XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jan 16 17:03:35 UTC 2017

On 1/16/17 9:50 AM, Georg Lukas wrote:

> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:
>> So, at this point, I wonder what we're doing here. :-)
>
> Signal is a single company

It's a not-for-profit organization. Not exactly a for-profit monster
like Google or Facebook.

> providing a centralized product.

How important is the centralized aspect? The clients are open-source and
can be inspected to determine the level of security and privacy.

> I think
> what's missing the most for our user community is the federation and
> the choice of clients.

Few real people care about those things.

> While I agree with you that they have achieved
> significant results with a bunch of people,

~6 people is a small bunch.

> this only shows that we
> can get at least as good, if we just concentrate our efforts.

But we haven't done a good job of that. What's that definition of
insanity? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
different results", right?

> A single decision by Moxie or a single court order in some country
> can make Signal unavailable to a large part of its user base.

That does concern me.

I'd argue that truly decentralized technologies (no servers or services
involved at all) are even better than a federated model. But those are
really hard to build.

> Email and the web have survived the last decades, while centralized
> services came and went away (anybody remembers AOL? MySpace?).

Good point.