[Standards] Easy XMPP

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jan 16 18:39:02 UTC 2017

On 16 January 2017 at 18:08, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mon, 16 Jan 2017 17:59:21 +0000
> Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> That's not what I said, I said that federation was an important
>> feature.
>
> You have said exactly that:
>> And if your business plan doesn't involve federation, why bother with
>> the additional overhead and complexity?
>
> Which means it doesn't make sense to deploy XMPP if you don't need
> federation.

No, two distinct cases. I'm still being unclear, sorry.

One was using XMPP as the basis of a service you *offer*. The other
was using XMPP as the basis of a service you *use*. Use of XMPP
generally makes sense, if you want to host your own (for security
reasons or whatever). And that does happen - there's plenty of
communities of autonomous organizations. Even if you don't want
federation, deploying an XMPP server can make sense - the vast, vast
majority of Openfire deployments don't federate. And I'm pretty
comfortable in asserting there's more of these than any other server,
though I lack the evidence.

Building your own service, however, is different - because federation
introduces complexities and overheads, it's an overhead that you're
paying. And if you explicitly don't want to federate - and why would
you, in order to run a walled-garden? - then it's a complexity that's
not worth paying.

Dave.