[Standards] Easy XMPP

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:46:58 UTC 2017

Mon, 16 Jan 2017 12:00:26 -0600
Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:

> Perhapse *this* is the problem we (the XSF) should focus on: building
> for an enecouraging the larger companies to use XMPP, and eventually
> to federate and be interoperable. If we can show these companies that
> there's some concrete benefit to it (bearing in mind that there may
> not be), it could accomplish our goals of having everyday people who
> don't care about federation use a federated network much better than
> focusing on small free services and clients.

Well, my company (ProcessOne) has been doing this since 2002 or so. We
are trying to convince customers that XMPP is a worthy technology, but
it is becoming harder and harder to do. I think it's virtually
impossible for a non-profit organization such as XSF to spread the
technology among large customers. Initially there was hype (most likely
due to GTalk), but now there is no hype.
Also, there are a lot of open-source enthusiasts on the list and seems
like they are setting the trend for XSF movement (unlike, for example,
WhatWG). In this case, obviously, XMPP will be built for this
enthusiasts, because it will solve their problems (obsession with
encryption is an example), but not the problems of large/commercial
services (which, seems like, isn't even be understood).