[Standards] Easy XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Jan 16 19:06:13 UTC 2017

On 1/16/17 11:55 AM, Georg Lukas wrote:

> Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com>:
>> Well, my company (ProcessOne) has been doing this since 2002 or so.
>> We are trying to convince customers that XMPP is a worthy
>> technology, but it is becoming harder and harder to do.
>
> Actually, I see xmpp as a possible solution here for multiple
> reasons.
>
> There is a hype about Slack right now, but Slack is rather expensive.

They have a lot of users, who don't seem to mind paying for it. Perhaps
the market has decided that it's good enough to use hosted services like
Slack and Hipchat?

> If we could provide a similar UX in top of self-hosted XMPP, that
> would be a good selling point.

IIRC, the Kaiwa folks have already done this:

http://getkaiwa.com/

> Furthermore, big companies are often bound by compliance requirements
> (archival duties, on site storage, etc). This is another selling
> point.

That's true, but the market is relatively small.

> IMHO all we need here is a server package / consultancy to roll out
> the implementation, a usable set of clients for mobile, desktop and
> the web, and a compelling 2FA authentication mechanism.

That's not an insignificant amount of work, and IMHO it would require a
small, focused team (a la the Signal team). In other words, you're
talking about starting a company or a non-profit organization, which
means finding money, hiring a team, making hard business and technology
decisions, etc.