[Standards] Easy XMPP

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:43:58 UTC 2017

Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:55:42 +0100
Georg Lukas <georg at op-co.de> wrote:

> Actually, I see xmpp as a possible solution here for multiple
> reasons.
>
> There is a hype about Slack right now, but Slack is rather expensive.
> If we could provide a similar UX in top of self-hosted XMPP, that
> would be a good selling point.
>
> Furthermore, big companies are often bound by compliance requirements
> (archival duties, on site storage, etc). This is another selling
> point.
>
> IMHO all we need here is a server package / consultancy to roll out
> the implementation, a usable set of clients for mobile, desktop and
> the web, and a compelling 2FA authentication mechanism.

I tend to agree with Peter (if I understand him correctly): what you
suggest is building/offering some sort of service on top of XMPP (which
is out of scope of XSF). And I don't think this can be done by XMPP
community either, because the community is very separated and have
different points of view.
I think we have already built XMPP network for enthusiasts, there is
nothing more we can do. But we got stuck at this point. For example,
even "community favourite" Conversations is moving towards service
oriented software as far as I know: I guess simply because there is
nowhere to move within the community.