[Standards] Easy XMPP

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Jan 17 12:11:17 UTC 2017

* Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> [2017-01-16 21:05]:
> Although I like federation, I'm no longer convinced that it is necessary for
> most people. For example, in services like Slack and Hipchat everything is
> room-based, and that fits well with MUC/MIX.

Yes, Slack and HipChat probably work well for internal team chat.  But
for the general IM use case (served by WhatsApp, Viber and friends), I
see the fact that we don't have ubiquitous federation (like we do e.g.
for phone/SMS) as a UX desaster.

I don't want to install a bunch of messengers just to be able to contact
everyone.  I don't want to be at the mercy of my app vendor's business
strategy.  I want to choose one out of a bunch of competing clients and
providers without loosing my contacts when switching.  And then there's
the privacy-minded people who don't feel comfortable with all metadata
being available on a small number of central systems.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't see us getting anywhere near ubiquitous
federation, and as long as it isn't ubiquitous, federation does indeed
not buy people much.  But this is solely due to (missing) economic
incentives, it's not a technical question.  So I think we shouldn't let
Moxie and other players with similar incentives talk us into believing
otherwise.

Holger