[Standards] Easy XMPP

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Jan 17 15:29:09 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Holger Weiß <holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> * Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> [2017-01-16 09:28]:
>> If someone like Sam's friend told me they wanted to find a secure messaging
>> service, I'd tell them to just use Signal.
>
> I wouldn't, because Sam's friend would likely end up with an empty
> roster.  Why?  Because IM vendors don't federate.

Of note: security didn't really enter into it from her perspective,
and all my friend really wants to do is send text messages; I actually
*did* tell her just to use Signal (she doesn't need to know or care
that under the hood I'm using a different protocol to communicate with
her than she is with all of the other people she texts on a day to day
basis).

—Sam