[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bind 2.0

Michal Piotrowski michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com
Tue Jan 17 20:30:11 UTC 2017

Hi,

Thanks for the protoXEP, this is step in a good direction! The part which I
find the most important is the information about unread messages. Here are
my questions regarding this:
1. How messages should be marked as read? Is this subject of another XEP or
maybe XEP-0333: Chat Markers could be used here?
2. What in a situation when the client have many contacts with unread
messages? Should the response indicate that there maybe more unread
conversations?

Also:

> Note: this gets rid of manual resource binding altogether. For discussion
on standards@

This maybe tricky. On one hand I think it'd be better if only the server
could assign resource, on the other hand I worked with some installations
(closed ones) where the resource where well though and contained some
informations about the client like app version or platform. This was later
used by some other parts of the entire system.

> Note: also enable acks? discuss on standards@

Does acks mean stream management? If so then I think it's worth enabling
them by default for clients using bind 2.0

Best regards
Michal Piotrowski
michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com