[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bind 2.0

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Tue Jan 17 20:39:59 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Michal Piotrowski
<michal.piotrowski at erlang-solutions.com> wrote:
> This maybe tricky. On one hand I think it'd be better if only the server
> could assign resource, on the other hand I worked with some installations
> (closed ones) where the resource where well though and contained some
> informations about the client like app version or platform. This was later
> used by some other parts of the entire system.

I also work on a produtc which does this, however, RFC 6120 says [1]:

> A client MUST NOT attempt to guess at its JID but instead MUST consider
> its JID to be whatever the server returns to it during resource
> binding.

I think it also mentions that the client MUST NOT assign meaning to
the resource part at some other point, but I can't find it so grian of
salt.

If a small number of services which violate the RFCs break, I think
that makes it their fault and isn't something we should concern
ourselves with.

—Sam

[1]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6120#section-4.3.6