[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Bind 2.0

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jan 18 13:24:02 UTC 2017

On 18.01.2017 00:05, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:09:52 +0100
> Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>
>> atomic mechanism
>
> While it's easy to say, it's quite hard to implement on the server,
> especially when you're not using relational database (i.e. when you
> cannot perform transactions across several tables).

Depends on what exactly is to be performed atomically.

Bind2 already tries to solve race conditions an XMPP client encounters
when creating a new session by atomically querying the users archive for
the ID of the latest stanza, binding the resource *and* activating the
stream of live stanzas right after the retrieved ID. I believe you don't
not a database with atomic operations to implement that protocol step
atomically server-side (by just locking the archive and stanza stream of
the user while that action is performed).

- Florian