[Standards] Easy XMPP

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:53:14 UTC 2017

> On 17-Jan-2017, at 10:49, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Tue, 17 Jan 2017 09:29:09 -0600
> Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> wrote:
>
>> Of note: security didn't really enter into it from her perspective
>
> Exactly. Regular users aren't concerned about security and encryption.
> They don't even know if Whatsapp has any sort of encryption. Yet, every
> third discussion on this list is about encryption. Look at the tail
> of the XEPs list: there are 6 encryption related XEPs out of 18 (i.e.
> 30%) WTF? Whom are we building network for?

	Whether they know about it or not, people do need to have encryption. It’s a complicated, esoteric thing that they shouldn’t have to know about but do silently benefit from. In the dreaded car analogy: how many users discuss limited slip differentials? Does that mean there shouldn’t be engineering resources behind it?

	It’s a similar thing, in my mind, with federation. IMHO, it’s dangerous to put so much information in the control of a few huge organizations, and federation is a necessary, but not sufficient, way to alleviate that. It’s more than just whether or not users knowingly care, it’s engineering ways to help keep them safe and in control of what they share and with whom.

-bjc