[Standards] Jingle PSTN sessions

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Sat Jan 21 21:35:44 UTC 2017

Am 21.01.2017 um 20:59 schrieb Stephen Paul Weber:
> I'd like to get feedback on a crazy proposal I've been batting around.
> Many times an XMPP client or other JID is in a context where it has some
> access to PSTN (either because the client is on a cell phone, or it has
> access to a VoiP bridge, or it *is* a VoiP gateway of some kind).

Did you see https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-stox-media-07 which
describes Jingle<->PSTN gateways (assuming the latter speaks SIP)?

> Jingle could be used to initiate a voice session whose peer-to-peer
> component is routed entirely over PSTN in these cases.  For example,
> romeo at montague.lit wants to talk to juliet at capulet.lit and indicates
> that one option for contact is to call +15557254545

I can see a limited use-case where both clients are phones and want to
use the PSTN (I am very much in favor of this -- I work for a telco). Bt
even in that case I would go for Rayo (see below)
[...]
> Hopefully the above is clear enough to discuss.  My main use case is a
> PSTN Gateway which could, on receiving an inbound call, be told by the
> XMPP client to forward the call over PSTN to a receiving number (either
> with upstream caller id or rewriting caller id, depending on
> application).

That sounds more like you want a call-control protocol.
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0327.html