[Standards] MIX use of type=groupchat?

Stephen Paul Weber singpolyma at singpolyma.net
Sun Jan 22 19:31:38 UTC 2017

I have a question about
<https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0369.html#usecase-user-message>

Doesn't using <message type="groupchat"> defeat the purpose of building on /
re-using PubSub?  Why have this extra special case as a way to publish
items, instead of using normal publish?  And using type=groupchat seems to
also necessitate a custom <jid xmlns="xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:0"> to indicate
the item publisher.

<https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0369.html#concepts-pubsub> says " MIX uses
standard presence and groupchat messages to provide an interface to the MIX
service that does not expose PubSub protocol for many of the more common
functions" -- but wouldn't "exposing PubSub" simplify everything (only one
protocol to support instead of more)?  If MIX were backwards-compatible with
MUC at either client or server level, I would understand keeping some warts,
but since both client and server support is required to use it at all, why
not clean up everything while we're at it?

--
Stephen Paul Weber, @singpolyma
See <http://singpolyma.net> for how I prefer to be contacted