[Standards] MIX use of type=groupchat?

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:33:41 UTC 2017

Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:37:44 +0000
Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> If by a generic relay you mean "reflects traffic as-is too all
> subscribers", isn't that what MIX/MUC are providing?

It is hard to call it "generic", because it introduces very specific
stuff like "subject" node for example, e.g. the XEP is quite designed
to serve only a single purpose, i.e. groupchat (unlike pubsub, at
least initially supposed to be). MIX also introduces a concept of JID
proxying (with moot security profile), which I think should be a
separate XEP as well (but that's another story).
So, I think MIX should be a profile of this "generic relay", like
XEP-0084 or XEP-0223 is a profile of pubsub. Well, at least if one
wants to replace MUC ;)