[Standards] MIX use of type=groupchat?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jan 23 11:32:54 UTC 2017

On 23 January 2017 at 10:33, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:37:44 +0000
> Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> If by a generic relay you mean "reflects traffic as-is too all
>> subscribers", isn't that what MIX/MUC are providing?
>
> It is hard to call it "generic", because it introduces very specific
> stuff like "subject" node for example, e.g. the XEP is quite designed
> to serve only a single purpose, i.e. groupchat (unlike pubsub, at
> least initially supposed to be). MIX also introduces a concept of JID
> proxying (with moot security profile), which I think should be a
> separate XEP as well (but that's another story).
> So, I think MIX should be a profile of this "generic relay", like
> XEP-0084 or XEP-0223 is a profile of pubsub. Well, at least if one
> wants to replace MUC ;)

MIX introduces a proxy JID simply because without one, you'd have to
have metadata in the message to indicate the publisher. This is,
therefore, a sort of elegance trade-off. If we want simple reflection
- and I think we do - then we need to do proxy JIDs.

You're right that the entire thing could be broken up into several
smaller XEPs, though - I'd welcome such a thing. I don't, however,
care sufficiently to put in the work, but I'll support anyone else
doing so.

Dave.