[Standards] 2017 Compliance Suites

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Thu Jan 26 11:23:01 UTC 2017

* Sam Whited <sam at samwhited.com> [2017-01-18 17:44]:
> We discussed moving forward the 2016 compliance suites today [..]

I'm curious why we don't just rename XEP-0375 from 2016 to 2017? That
would reduce the number of deprecated XEPs and implementer confusion.

> - Remove MIX as an optional spec to satisfy the multiuser chat
> category since it's not ready

+1

> Anything else before I submit a first draft of the 2017 suites?

Yes, three things.

1. I'd suggest removing 0313 from IM "Outbound Message Synchronization",
as 0313 it doesn't fit that use case, and is already covered by "History
Storage / Retrieval" (advanced client).

2. I wonder if we could move "User Avatars" from "core" to "advanced"
client feature.

3. Please don't forget to improve the wording of the XEP according to
the discussion from last August:
https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-August/031312.html

| I think that "feature" and "[feature] provider" are the two most
| meaningful ones of the set. If we replace all occurrences of *item with
| either of the above, that should improve the readability already. Then
| replace the last sentence of the intro with the following, and we are
| set:
|
| "Support for the listed features is REQUIRED for compliance purposes. A
| feature is considered supported if all providers listed in the feature's
| table row are implemented. Exceptions to this rule are marked
| explicitly."

Dave followed up with the suggestion to rename "feature" into
"capability" because the former conflicts with XEP-0030:
https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-August/031313.html
However, the latter term is also in use in 0030 and in 0115.

I could also imagine "function", but I don't have a strong opinion here.

Georg