[Standards] Invisible Command

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Jan 28 20:56:18 UTC 2017

> Do folks here want to finish off the Invisible Command spec? It has been
> "Proposed" for a long time:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0186.html
>
> If so, a PR for https://github.com/xsf/xeps/issues/109 would be helpful.

I looked at this again yesterday. Matthew Wild's point was that it would
be good for the client to specify how it wants the server to proceed
with respect to presence probes. (E.g., it might not want its server to
ever send probes, or it might want the server to send probes so that it
can learn about the presence of other entities.)

My feeling is that, traditionally, invisible mode enabled you to see
others (i.e., it's OK for your server to send probes) but not for others
to see you. However, I can see why a more paranoid user might not want
to send probes. Therefore, I propose that we add a boolean 'probe' flag
for the traditional and paranoid approaches:

<invisible probe='true' xmlns='urn:xmpp:invisible:0'/>

or

<invisible probe='false' xmlns='urn:xmpp:invisible:0'/>

I'll submit a PR for this.