[Standards] Ciphers-XEP?

Vanitas Vitae vanitasvitae at riseup.net
Thu Jul 13 15:25:02 UTC 2017

Hi everybody!

During the course of me researching how to implement encrypted Jingle
file transfer, I came across XEP-0300 (Use of Cryptographic Hash
Functions in XMPP) that holds a list of hash functions along with
related namespaces. The XEP is used in XEP-0234 (Jingle File Transfer)
to enable the use of different hash functions.

Does such a thing exist for (symmetric) ciphers? If not, why not? It
would make it much easier to replace outdated ciphers where they might
be used. In my case such a XEP would be especially useful, since it
would enable me to achieve "jingle-like" agility for ciphers.

Let me know what you think :)

Vanitasvitae