[Standards] Jingle File Transfer (XEP-0234) uses NonNegativeInteger instead of UnsignedLong.

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Mon Jul 17 12:45:04 UTC 2017

On Montag, 17. Juli 2017 13:29:02 CEST Paul Schaub wrote:
> This is a very minor issue, but XEP-0234 uses positiveInteger as
> attribute type for the FileTransferElementType's size attribute.
>
> positiveInteger contains all positive numbers except '0', which requires
> implementers to choose eg. the BigInteger class to represent that value.

Or an implementation could reject the transfer with a policy-violation or
similar error in case it cannot handle files or numbers that big.

> I think unsignedLong would fit better here. Same goes for the
> fileTransferRangeType's offset value, which is currently
> nonNegativeInteger. This limits the size of the transferred file to 4GB
> or less.

Please let us not do that in the standard. I know, nobody will ever transfer 4
GiB files over XMPP---until someone does. The size should at least be 64 bits
wide, but I really prefer to have the maximum size unspecified in the XEP and
let implementations handle too large numbers with an appropriate error.

kind regards,
Jonas