[Standards] Jingle XEPs: Use of session-info vs. description-info

Paul Schaub vanitasvitae at riseup.net
Wed Jul 19 10:35:50 UTC 2017

Hi!

Many Jingle related XEPs use the session-info action to indicate certain
events (like successful file transfers, ringing for RTP sessions etc).

Also there exists the description-info action, which (as I found) is
rarely used at all.

As far as I understood the session ist description-agnostic and can also
contain multiple different descriptions. The descriptions on the other
hand describe the use case of the transmission (eg. file transfer, RTP
sessions...).

My question is: Why do most Jingle related XEPs use session-info actions
to exchange description related information? The Jingle XEP (0166)
mentions the ringing feature for example (which is highly specific for
RTP video/audio sessions). Also Jingle File Transfer (XEP-0234) uses
session-info actions to indicate the successful/unsuccessful transfer of
a file and to transmit the checksum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use description-info actions for things
like that?

In my implementation the session does not care about the descriptions it
holds. I'd like to be able to handle session-info actions in the session
without passing them to the description(s). In turn I'd pass
description-info actions down to the respective description.

is there something that I miss?

vv