[Standards] Don't let today be the day we bury OMEMO

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Jun 7 18:40:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Ignat Gavrilov
<ignat.gavrilov at mailfence.com> wrote:
> I would propose that those people, who think that those who proposed UX breaking changes start putting their effort into OMEMO-NEXT and leave the OMEMO people working on "their standard". No reason to torpedo each other. We could just resolve the split in the community by splitting the XEP - given that no one *wants* to torpedo the other ones standard. (Feedback will still be perfectly possible from each other, but I have the feeling a lot of this is no longer feedback...)

In theory this is the purpose of "experimental" XEPS, but in practice
I think people mostly just get confused about what the "recommended"
spec is and get annoyed that there are two specs with duplicate
functionality. I personally don't like the idea of having multiple
XEPs with the same or heavily overlapping purposes for this reason.

The whole "cutting the baby in half" thing only works if someone is
concerned enough for the welfare of OMEMO to give up their half.

—Sam