[Standards] Don't let today be the day we bury OMEMO

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Jun 7 18:54:48 UTC 2017

Hi Ignat,

> On 7 Jun 2017, at 19:22, Ignat Gavrilov <ignat.gavrilov at mailfence.com> wrote:
> Just that I understand this topic correctly:
> The intention is to put the currently implemented OMEMO (a.k.a. siacs OMEMO) into the XEP and then no longer update that XEP and put all effort into OMEMO-NEXT?

Not quite. It’s to publish the current version of OMEMO-siacs as the next version of the XEP (so that there is a version that people can point to and say “I implement XEP-0384 version 0.5”), and then to continue development of the standard from there in the manner of OMEMO-next - which may or may not mean breaking changes (this might be ODR, or might be something else, depending what the normal standards process yields).

There are assorted reasons for this proposal, which can probably be found by reading the long threads on the topic.

/K